Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Program
Next cycle: Sundays from September 13th or Wednesdays from September 16th, 2015.
Free introductory sessions– see details below.
Issues that might bring you to MBSR:
- Low motivation
- Work-related problems
- Sadness, depression, grief
- Worry, anxiety, fear
- Unhealthy behaviors
- Frustration, anger, negativity
- Physical pain, tension, illness
- Repetitive thoughts, poor concentration
- Isolation, cultural maladjustment
- Relationship/communication difficulties
Looking for relief?
MBSR teaches you how to meet yourself, and your experience, in a new way. Through regular practice of mindfulness meditation and other proven techniques over nine sessions, you will develop coping skills and healthier responses to the situations that you face. Yet the value of mindfulness is by no means limited to stress management; it can bring much richness, appreciation, and joy to the full spectrum of your life experience.
MBSR includes guided instruction in:
- mindful breathing
- mindfulness of body sensation (body scan)
- mindful walking
- gentle stretching & mindful yoga
- diaphragmatic breathing
- loving kindness (compassion) meditation
- mindful communication exercises & group dialogue
These simple, powerful tools can help you manage stress and discover your own reserve of inner peace. Mindfulness-based stress reduction methods have been clinically shown to reduce anxiety, depression, and pain, and are highly respected in Western medicine and psychology as complementary forms of healing.
The MBSR program is suitable for adults of any fitness level; those with limited mobility or injury are welcome.
Around the world, participants in the MBSR program report:
- Increasing ability to relax
- Improved self-esteem & self-control
- Deepened empathy & social harmony
- Increasing emotional well-being
- Greater enthusiasm & appreciation for life
- Improved physical health & pain reduction
- Mental clarity, improved concentration
- Ability to slow down & experience life moment by moment
- Growing contentment & positivity
Program structure and materials:
MBSR is an intensive course requiring strong commitment to daily practice and growth. The goal is your own healing and well-being.
- Eight (2.5-hour) classes and an all-day (7-hour) session. Participants should make a strong effort to attend all meetings.
- Daily “homework” assignments of at least 45 minutes are an essential part of the course. They deepen your understanding and help you integrate the practices in daily life. You will receive four mp3 audio files and a Practice Manual for home use.
- Attendance at free Introductory session is required before joining the course. This is an opportunity to learn more about the program, the commitment, and meet the instructor. The Introduction is free and carries no obligation to join the course.
Fall 2015 Class Schedule & Tuition:
- Class Dates:
- 9 Sundays from September 13 – November 8, 2015,
- 10:00am-12:30pm, excepting the all-day session on October 25, 2015, which is from 9:30am to 4:30pm.
- 8 Wednesdays September 16 – November 4, plus, Sunday October 25.
- 9:00am-11:30am, excepting the all-day session on October 25, 2015, which is from 9:30am to 4:30pm.
- Location: Wesley Center, Minami-Aoyama, Tokyo
- Language: English
- Course Tuition: 65,000 yen.
- Free Introduction Dates: Sunday, September 6 or Wednesday, September 9th from 10:00am to 11:30am. Please contact Patrick at email@example.com to attend.
*Please note: the MBSR program is not a replacement for professional clinical assessment, treatment, or counseling. If you need immediate help in Japan call 119, Inochi no Denwa (03-3264-4343 for Japanese), or TELL Lifeline (03-5774-0992 for English).