Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) マインドフルネスストレス低減法
Winter course: January 19 to March 16, 2019. Enrollment closed.
Spring course: April 13 to June 8, 2019. ENROLLING NOW!
Free MBSR Orientation Sessions: See below for more information.
MBSR is a systematic training in mindfulness meditation and other simple tools that can help you manage stress and discover your own reserve of inner peace. The course helps you integrate mindfulness in your daily life through 8 weekly classes, daily home practice assignments, and a day-long mini retreat (27.5 hours total class time).
This MBSR course is modeled on the program developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at the UMass Stress Reduction Clinic, where it has been completed by more than 24,000 people since 1979.
Issues that might bring you to MBSR:
- Low motivation
- Work-related problems
- Sadness, depression, grief
- Worry, anxiety, fear
- Unhealthy behaviors
- Frustration, anger, negativity
- Physical pain, tension, illness
- Repetitive thoughts, poor concentration
- Isolation, cultural maladjustment
- Relationship/communication difficulties
Participants also join the MBSR course to strengthen their existing mindfulness meditation practice.
Looking for relief?
MBSR teaches you how to meet yourself, and your experience, in a new way. Through regular practice of mindfulness meditation and other proven techniques over nine sessions, you will develop coping skills and healthier responses to the situations that you face. Yet the value of mindfulness is by no means limited to stress management; it can bring much richness, appreciation, and joy to the full spectrum of your life experience.
MBSR includes guided instruction in:
- mindful breathing
- mindfulness of body sensation (body scan)
- mindful walking
- gentle stretching & mindful yoga
- loving kindness (compassion) meditation
- mindful communication exercises & group dialogue
- sustained mindfulness in a day-long “mini retreat”
These simple, powerful tools can help you manage stress and discover your own reserve of inner peace. Mindfulness-based stress reduction methods have been shown to reduce anxiety, depression, and pain, and are highly respected in Western medicine and psychology as complementary forms of healing.
The MBSR program is suitable for adults of any fitness level; those with limited mobility or injury are welcome.
Around the world, participants in the MBSR program report:
- Increasing ability to relax
- Improved self-esteem & self-control
- Deepened empathy & social harmony
- Increasing emotional well-being
- Greater enthusiasm & appreciation for life
- Improved physical health & pain reduction
- Mental clarity, improved concentration
- Ability to slow down & experience life moment by moment
- Growing contentment & positivity
Program structure and materials:
MBSR is an intensive course requiring strong commitment to daily practice and growth. The goal is your own healing and well-being.
- Eight (2.5-3 hour) classes and an all-day (6.5-hour) retreat. Participants should make a strong effort to attend all meetings.
- Daily home practice assignments of 45-60 minutes are an essential part of the course. They deepen your understanding and help you integrate the practices in daily life. You will receive four mp3 audio files and a Practice Manual for home use.
- Attendance at a free Orientation session is required before joining the course. This is an opportunity to learn more about the program and commitment, experience mindfulness meditation, and meet the instructor. The orientation is free and carries no obligation to join the course.
Free MBSR Orientation Sessions:
- Attendance at a free orientation session is required before joining the MBSR course. Find out if the 8-week MBSR program is a good fit for you.
- Dates: Saturday, March 23 and Saturday, April 6th, 2019. 9:30am to 11:00am.
- Location: Wesley Center, Minami-Aoyama, Tokyo
- Contact Patrick at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your spot.
MBSR program Winter 2019:
- January 19 to March 16, 2019 (enrollment closed).
MBSR program Spring 2019:
- April 13, Saturday. 9:30am-12:30pm (3 hrs)
- April 20, Saturday. 9:30am-12:00pm (2.5 hrs)
- April 27, Saturday. 9:30am-12:00pm (2.5 hrs)
- May 4, Saturday. 9:30am-12:00pm (2.5 hrs)
- May 11, Saturday. 9:30am-12:00pm (2.5 hrs)
- May 18, Saturday. 9:30am-12:00pm (2.5 hrs)
- May 25*, Saturday. 10:00am-4:30pm (6.5 hrs)*
- June 1, Saturday. 9:30am-12:00pm (2.5 hrs)
- June 8, Saturday. 9:30am-12:30pm (3 hrs)
- Location: Wesley Center, Minami-Aoyama, Tokyo
- All-day mini-retreat: Saturday, May 25* 10:00am to 4:30pm*
- Language: English
- Course Tuition: 65,000 yen. Scholarships and payment arrangements available. Please contact us about making this course possible for you. Our mission is to make MBSR accessible to as many people as possible.
*Please note: the MBSR program is not a replacement for professional clinical assessment, treatment, or counseling. Recommended: TELL Counseling offers mental health care services by multidisciplinary/multilingual therapists and psychologists (03-4550-1146 Eng; 03-4550-1147 日本語). TELL Lifeline (03-5774-0992 Eng) and Inochi no Denwa (03-3264-4343 日本語) offer free telephone counseling. If you need immediate help in Japan call 119.